Arguably one the most popular attractions in France, the Eiffel Tower is also one of the most visited attractions in the world. The magnificent wrought iron lattice tower is located at Champ de Mars in Paris and welcomes seven million visitors each year.
We have compiled a list of fascinating facts about the Eiffel Tower… Read on while you enjoy the amazing facts.
- The Eiffel Tower was completed in 1889 for the Paris Exposition and was not intended to be permanent.
- Built by Gustave Eiffel, the tower was the world’s tallest man-made structure for 41 years until the completion of the Chrysler Building in New York in 1930.
- The Eiffel Tower is the most-visited paid monument in the world: 6.98 million people in 2011.
- Victor Lustig, a con artist, “sold” the tower for scrap metal on two separate occasions.
- The Eiffel Tower was originally intended to be built in Barcelona, Spain, but the project was rejected.
- There are other replicas of the tower all around the world, there’s one in Las Vegas and while there is another at the Window of the World theme park in Shenzhen, China.
- To climb all the way to the top of the Eiffel Tower, you need to climb 1,665 steps.
- In 2008 a woman with a fetish for objects married the Eiffel Tower and then changed her name to Erika La Tour Eiffel in honour of her ‘partner’.
- The Eiffel Tower and Great Britain’s former Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher share the same nickname – La Dame de Fer (“The Iron Lady”).
- There are 20,000 light bulbs on the Eiffel Tower.
- In 1891, London built a structure designed to surpass the Eiffel Tower in height. It was unsteady, never completed and demolished in 1907.
- Gustave Eiffel had an apartment of the third floor for entertaining his friends. The apartment is now open to the public.
- Over 250 million people have visited the tower since it was built.
- Its construction took two years, two months and five days – 180 years fewer than Paris’s other great attraction, Notre Dame.
- A woman, who tried to commit suicide by jumping from the Eiffel Tower, landed on a car and later married the owner of the car.